Saturday, February 14, 2015

Vintage frame made chalkboard

This gold frame is by far my most favorite piece I've ever owned. It's huge and chunky and pretty much amazing.  Even if someone offered me the right amount of money for it I don't think I would sell it. For now anyways.  

When my oldest son was still in preschool,  I drove by this older woman's house everyday while taking him. One day I noticed this frame sitting on her porch and instantly fell in love and needed it.  I figured it was on her porch temporarily and she would be putting it back in her house. A week went by and it was still there. Then another week,  a month, and another month went by. There was a huge nasty storm that came through and it was still on her porch. Anyone that actually wanted this frame definitely would have put it back in the house by now right? .. 

Three months had gone by since I first saw this frame, so I decided I was going to go to her house and offer to buy it. I drove by her house multiple times after that and she was never home. Ugh!. Finally one day someone was there so I pulled in to ask about it.  She was the sweetest little Spanish woman but didn't speak a lick of English.  Luckily she had a nephew there that could translate for me. 
So I told her how much I loved her frame and noticed it had been sitting on her porch for quite some time. Then asked "are you interested in selling it and if so how much are you asking"? She said "make me an offer". So I through out "$15".. She was ecstatic about that! For a second I thought "dang, I probably could of got it for cheaper". Seriously though, $15,  I felt I was practically stealing it for that. But I gratefully gave her the $15 and loaded the frame into my car.
   
Now it's a chalkboard and it hangs in my dining area. Its one of the first things that is seen when coming through my back door and I am constantly admiring it. 

Every change of the season or holiday I draw new chalkboard art on it. Here are a few that I have done recently. 

1 comment:

  1. What a great story AND a great price! :) You should feel so lucky to have something in your house that you love like that. I know that once we started collecting and picking and thrifting (like its a sport...), I have things I wouldn't part with for millions.

    xo Ashley
    pennypickedrevival.com

    ReplyDelete